Friday, May 21, 2010

I have many pine needles from cyprus pine and wattle/eucalyptus leaves and would like to use it as mulch ?

I would like to ask ,i have heard to use lime with it.does anyone know whats the ratio is,I would like to use it for fruit trees and natives.The ratio i mean is a builders wheel barrow full either of pine or leaf that is scattered on my acreage.I dont want to go to the expense of buying manure,cheers

I have many pine needles from cyprus pine and wattle/eucalyptus leaves and would like to use it as mulch ?
These needles and leaves carry a high acid count and are not good for mulch. If you insist on using them - after scattering them completely cover with lime powder. Don't expect a good crop of flowers, fruit or veggies for at least two years. So much acid will leach from the needles it will take that long for the lime to balance things out and by then it's time to mulch again.

omar

No comments:

Post a Comment