Sunday, May 16, 2010

Is Brazillian Pine supposed to be used for fencing? My fence around my new house is already falling apart.?

My house is 6 months old. The builder used Brazilian Pine to build the fence. I had it stained immediately after moving in, but the boards are still warping and pulling loose. Is there a resource that discusses uses for Brazilian Pine? Is fencing a good use for this wood? Looks to me like it isn't and I cannot get the builder to replace it.

Is Brazillian Pine supposed to be used for fencing? My fence around my new house is already falling apart.?
I can't imagine why anyone would use pine for outside construction for anything. Brazilian pine is mostly used for inside things like cabinets and furniture. It is NOT a "hard wood", but handy in construction because it's light, stains well, and holds nails and screws well.





But you don't often see people building pine fencing! I bet even that builder wouldn't use it for his OWN house. My guess is that perhaps it's cheaper than hard wood, and/or it was leftover from another project? I can't imagine the thinking behind using it for a fence besides cost savings.





Unsealed wood will not last long. If you get nowhere with replacing, you might buy some time by making a few small repairs, and then sealing the whole thing. It won't make it "good", but will definitely turn into compost slower than if it's unsealed.


No comments:

Post a Comment