Monday, November 16, 2009

Is a Tanyoshi pine a good choice for my landscaping?

I saw a Tanyoshi pine and fell in love with it. The one I saw was about 3 feet tall, had a single trunk and rounded area of green needles at the top, about 2 feet in diameter. My guess is that is is the "dwarf" version of the Tanyoshi? It will look perfect as the main focus of the area I need to fill in with shrubbery in my front yard. I can't seem to find too much specific info online, and I need to know if it is a good choice for me.





The area does get full sun. I am in NJ, right near the shore (2 miles inland), so our winters are a bit milder than inland and mountainous NJ.





Is the Tanyoshi easy to care for? Is a lot of pruning and "training" required to keep the round shape?





Are they expensive? I have been to a few garden centers in my area and have yet to see one for sale. Are they difficult to find? If I cannot find one for sale near me, what is my best way to get one?

Is a Tanyoshi pine a good choice for my landscaping?
Tanyoshi??


I found your description to match Tanyosho Pine [Tan-y-o-show] Very slow growing but a little faster in youth. A normal height would be 12’ with a 20’ spread. It can be trimmed to have shrub like characteristics. Reaches 5-8’ in ten years.





This website lists some New Jersey locations: http://www.lgyp.com/results.asp?pID=3648...

ben

No comments:

Post a Comment