Friday, November 13, 2009

Pine Tip Moth Larvae, how do I get rid of them?

My pine trees are being eaten by the Pine Tip Moth Larvae. We have 8 trees about 7 feet high. I have been using Ortho® Bug-B-Gon® MAX® Garden %26amp; Landscape Insect Killer Ready-to-Use, but that doesn't seem to work on most of them. Any ideas what else I can do to save my pine trees?

Pine Tip Moth Larvae, how do I get rid of them?
At the first sign of infestation in early spring, prune the pine tree (if possible) and destroy any visibly infested branches and twigs. In mid-May or June you should spray the infested pines with an insecticide that contains acephate. Respray again approximately two to three weeks later. If reinfestation still occurs, you are most likely dealing with the Nantucket tip most. In this case, you will need to spray every fourth week from late April to late August in order to kill off all generations of this pesky pine tree tip moth.





I also recommend applying a fairly new product by Bayer Advanced called 12 Month Tree and Shrub Insect Control. You apply it in the fall and it will protect your tree for 12 full months. The great thing about this is that you mix it with water and pour it around the drip line of the tree - NO SPRAYING!!! It has solved alot of the pest problems I have had, like tent caterpillars, lace bugs, aphids, etc...





Good Luck! If all else fails, call your local extension service or arborist and see what they have had success with in your area.

Wisdom Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment