Sunday, May 16, 2010

Question about Pine Seed bugs, please help?

I posted a question before regarding bugs and was able to find out what type of insects have been lerking on my balcony, thanks to one of the answers posted, which helped me investigate more.





See original question :


http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...





They are Pine Seed bugs, which explains a lot since there are two huge pine trees in front of my apartment building. I have searched online and have found no info on how to prevent these things from "visiting" my balcony and what can kill them and rid me of them permanently. I really want to make use of my balcony this year considering it is my first spring/summer in my new apartment, but i am terrified of these bugs. (LOL actually all bugs) Has any one had a problem with these types of bugs? Please help :)

Question about Pine Seed bugs, please help?
The way to control them is to stop them from feeding on the immature pine cones. Problem there is it would require pesticides to be applied to the trees and then total control is questionable.





Spraying the trees with a horticultural oil (you'd probably have to hire it done) would smother the eggs and nymphs and maybe even the adults, the oil would get on your balcony. Granted, it's not crude oil type oil, but it is still a light oil.





Insecticidal soaps could be used on insects that appear on your balcony, but why bother for just a few. Save it for when they start to cluster and try to enter the home. You of course now know to chaulk and seal all windows, doors, foundation cracks......any small opening they can use to come indoors for winter.





For the summer consider a hand vac to quickly remove them from the balcony.





You'll discover insect control information is less and less about strong pesticides because we have less and less available for our use. So many chemicals have been recalled.


No comments:

Post a Comment